Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tea Time Tuesday with a YUMMY Mint Julep Dessert


Welcome to one of my NEW features on Sweetology...Tea Time Tuesday!

Isn't that SWEET! In the future I hope to host a LINK UP party associated with these posts! A virtual Tea Party...how fun!

 
I am a girly girl who LOVES anything related to a Tea Party. Enjoying a pretty little dessert while sipping your favorite cup of tea or beverage out of a lovely tea cup is so relaxing. It is goooooood therapy!



Over the years I have collected a wonderful hodgepodge of teacups, teapots, creams, sugars, plates and serving platters.  Each one with its own memory of discovery. 


I have a rule in my house and that nothing is too pretty or too "good" to use.
I bust out my teacups and plates all the time, often for no good reason, if only just to brighten up the table with a dose of delicate and whimsy!


I can get lost for hours in an antique shop.  The stories held silent in those beautiful and dainty cups and plates must be delicious!!  I know my collection could tell a few good ones! 

With the Kentucky Derby on May 7th I thought these delicate Mint Julep desserts from Tea Time Magazine would be PERFECT!

Below is a sneaky little adaptation, if you need it FAST but FANCY!




Mint Julep Profiterole from Tea Time Magazine
Makes 24

The Yummies:
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
1 cup unsalted butter, diced
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
9 eggs, divided
1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped toasted almonds
Mint Ice Cream 
Chocolate-Bourbon Sauce (for how to click HERE) or you can use chocolate ganache or hot fudge sauce. 
The Work:  
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• In medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 cups water, butter, and seeds from vanilla bean and bring to boil. Add the flour and salt and stir vigorously with wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and cool for 4 minutes. 
• Add 8 eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds after each addition. Stir until smooth.
• On an ungreased baking sheet, spoon or pipe 1-tablespoon mounds of dough, spacing 3 inches apart.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining egg and remaining 1 tablespoon water. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat each mound of dough with egg wash, and sprinkle each evenly with the brown sugar and almonds.
• Bake until golden and puffed, 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely.
• Cut off the top section of each puff, and reserve. Pull out and discard soft interior dough.
• Scoop softened Mint Ice Cream into a piping bag, and pipe ice cream into hollow puffs. Replace tops.
• Drizzle with Chocolate-Bourbon Sauce. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
• Garnish with mint leaves, if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: Unfilled profiterole shells will keep for 2 to 3 days refrigerated in an airtight container.

For a downloadable/printable recipe click HERE

If you need this FAST and FANCY just substitute a cream puff shell, plain or chocolate bakery croissant, that is what I did! 
Cook smart, not hard people!

I did make my own mint ice cream buy adding mint extract (just a touch) to vanilla ice cream.  It was GREAT!

Now enjoy your treat with a nice cup of tea!





Every tea cup in my house has a story.  This one is the very FIRST tea cup I bought for my daughter, Sophia Rose, several years ago at one of our many excursions to the Mad Hatter Tea Room (Anoka, MN).  That place is so near and dear to my heart.

I also have to take a final minute and say HAPPY 8TH ANNIVERSARY to my wonderful husband James!


I made his favorite "chocolate candy cupcake" with chocolate ganache!

James,

Thank you for loving me the way I am
Thank you for our daughter
Thank you for your positive attitude
Thank you for your fiscal responsibility - and not cutting me off from Gymboree Thank you for calling me your "beautiful bride"
Thank you for giving more space in the closet
Thank you for allowing me to "girly girl" our home
Thank you for your unconditional support
Thank you for YOU

I love you.



This is my life in tea cups and 8th wedding anniversary cupcakes.

~ Trisha

You can find the recipe for chocolate ganache that I use by clicking HERE.

Linking up with these AMAZING blogs...please check them out!:

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Your Mom....Your Fast & Fancy is absolutely great...My kind of recipe...only 3 or so lines. Next time I have tea it will join me. Happy 8th Anniversary...God winked at you when you found each other...Love you both!!!

Jennifer said...

Happy, happy anniversary! What a lovely post and gorgeous dessert! I hope your day is filled with love and celebration! x

Snap said...

Happy anniversary! Lovely post and the tea cup is a beauty. happy tea day.

Betty said...

Happy Anniversary and Thank you for sharing the recipe. You have a beautiful blog here.

Diann said...

Happy anniversary! Oh, all your treats look so yummy! and that teacup is stunning!! What a fun post. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Happy Anniversary! Love your teacup! I have a teacup the same shape as that one and I love it! Your desserts look great too. Thanks for joining me for Tea Time and have a wonderful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Unknown said...

Oh I love the New added Tea Time! So Cute.
Would it be ok if I drank Diet Coke in my Tea Cup?

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! What a cute Couple!
*He's a "hottie"....and he lets you "girly up" the house?...Oh well I think I would have a tight leash on him!

Hoping you both have a great day & and an even Better Night!

Miss Kitty said...

Happy Anniversary! We served mint juleps at my daughter's wedding reception so I am going to HAVE to try this yummy-looking recipe! Thanks for sharing it.

♥ Miss Tea said...

Happy Anniversary and cheers for many many more years to come!!! thanks for sharing the mint julep profiterole, i just got to try this! it looks delicious from the photo and the ingredients! i adore your teacup, it's so dainty and gorgeous! the cake is so cute! lovely pic of you and ur hubby too! thanks for entering the giveaways at my blog, it's open worldwide! :)

Susan

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: Thank you for joining my blog. I have done the same. I looking forward to getting to know you. Please feel free to join our Tea Cup Tuesday. It is so much fun and you meet so many lovely ladies. Blessings, Martha

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Happy Anniversary. Such a great post and the desserts look fabulous. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

The Mad Hatter said...

Thank you so much for the "shout out"! Happy Anniversary. See you soon at the Hatter.
The Happy Hatter, Liz

Terri said...

Trish, you have a beautiful blog, and I can tell by your post that we share a serious love of all things tea! Your first tea cup is very pretty! I love the coloring and the gold detailing. I am so glad you joined up with Martha and my's Tea Cup Tuesday! It is so much fun to go see each others tea cup posts!
Happy Anniversary!
Terri

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you both!!..You guys are such a cute and happy couple...CELEBRATE!!..(Now Im hungry...after seeing this...:)..Have a great one...Hugs to you both!!..Tana

Anjali said...

Happy Anniversary to one of my most favorite couples :) love you both! This has to be your most beautiful blog so far.

Notes from the Homestead said...

Hello sweet girl,
Happy Anniversary to the most wonderful couple!!! I just loved your sweet sentiments in this post. Thank you for being my inspiration!!!
((hugs))
Kim

Paula said...

Happy Anniversary to you and James! What a beautiful tribute to your marriage! You're the BEST!

Unknown said...

* Hey Come check out my Blog...YOU got an AWARD!

Elaine said...

Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful cup you have posted. Gorgeous colours and fluting. Elaine

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Trisha, I'm so glad you added this beautiful post to Joy of Desserts. Such nice memories in this post too.

 
Blogging tips