Sunday, April 17, 2011

Blogging Award, Dolphin Cupcakes and a tribute to the American Cancer Society and Relay for Life!

WOW!!  How fun...my FIRST blogging award. 



Thanks so much to The Addicted Baker for this award. 

You have to check out her blog (click on her link above). 

She is just in high school and has such amazing talent.  She is definitely destined for GREAT things with her generous spirit and baking talent. 

As part of this award I am supposed to tell 7 things about myself so here you go:

  1. My mom is my biggest fan and inspiration
  2. I am blessed with a wonderful husband and beautiful daughter
  3. I collect pretty tea cups and tea pots
  4. I love anything with an Eiffel Tower and Poodle
  5. I wish my life was a constant Tea Party
  6. I am a huge art history buff - Botticelli is my FAVORITE!
  7. I have never taken "No" for an answer....and never will

I would like to extend this award to 3 special ladies with amazing blogs:

Lark from Lark's Country Heart!!
Sarah from Sarah Has Moxie!!  (oh yes she does!)
Jennifer from Home Sweets Home!!

All of you ROCK.

Now...how about some cupcakes?

We arrived back to Minnesota yesterday and I must say even though we had a great time, it feels so good to be home.
Probably our most memorable experience while in Florida was the adventure of swimming with the dolphins.  
Today, as I listened to Sophia re-live her amazing experience over and over, I was inspired to makes these:




The dolphin is such a precious creature.  Just like my Sophia.


We also had a great time picking sea shells.



I really like to use whimsical stickers as cupcake toppers.

Here, I backed the shell and heart stickers to a piece of fondant and then laid them right on the cupcake. 

I used a printed template from the Internet to cut out the dolphin from blue fondant. 

I simply find a shape I like, print and cut the shape out.  Then, roll out your colored fondant and put it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to firm it up.  Lay your template over the fondant and using an exacto knife, trace the edges. Smooth the edges once cut out.

FUN!!!

Also, did you know this weekend was the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life? Everyone knows someone or have themselves been affected by cancer.

I feel lucky to have had the privilege of making new friends in this crazy blogging world so far and one of those special ladies is Lark.  
This weekend she ran in the Relay for Life.

That is pretty cool – I couldn’t run my way out of a paper bag. 

I made her these cupcakes as a thank you! 



I used fondant for the toppers.  Red buttercream is on the left and textured white fondant on the right.  The recipe for the chocolate cake can be found by clicking HERE.

I had my daughter color the rainbow cancer awareness ribbon with edible food markers.

We talked about the different ways we can help others who have cancer.  Her idea was to write "cancer people" funny stories to cheer them up. 

Great idea, sweetie.

This week, I am working on a fun idea/tutorial for Teacher Appreciation Day, and of course some more CUPCAKES!
My life in cupcakes is brought to you today by dolphins and cancer awareness, thanks for reading!


~ Trish



(If you click on the pictures they open up into a bigger window.  I appreciate your comments and feedback very much.  If you like what you see, please feel free to share it on Facebook, Twitter or with your friends.)

5 comments:

Lee said...

I love the dolphin cupcakes - good idea for my nieces birthday. And to make some for our relay for life! Thanks for the idea of using the stickers for toppers too.

Unknown said...

Trish..(ok I am blinking back the tears, oh hell it is not working...give me a minute!)

Wow!..I wish I could see you and give you a BIG HUG! Thanks so much for making those AMAZING & AWESOME cupcakes. :) I just finished my post about the Relay...and saw your new post.
And yes you so could walk, run, crawl, limp through a race. (I would even drag you across the finish line if I had too)hee,hee

I really truly enjoy doing a "race" even more so: if it is for a Non-Profit Charity.
I do it for for those who can not!

Now for the Blog Award...What?! You are so flipping cute. That is so freaking cool.(as my daughter would say) Thank you I am honored.

Thank you so much for all YOUR hard work...all YOUR giving to others. YOU are a GREAT example of someone who "pays it forward"!

Kendra said...

Those dolphin cupcakes are so cute! LOVE THEM!

have a great weekend!
-kendra

HoosierHomemade said...

What awesome cupcakes!! And the meaning behind them is even better!
Thanks so much for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!
~Liz

Unknown said...

I just followed your link from your comment left at Vanilla Bean Baker's Relay post. I cried, I laughed ("couldn't run my way out of a paper bag")niiiice.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am amazed at how bakers like yourself are able tell a story, open minds, or raise awareness with a sweet confection.

 
Blogging tips