Monday, September 12, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME on Tea Party Tuesday ~ Celebrating the Kolache!


Friday, Sept 9th was my wonderful Nana Marcy's birthday. 
Miss you Nana!

To see the post click Here

My mother left the most heartwarming comment for me
on that post that I will treasure forever:
From Your Mom
First thing this morning in my Fosbinder tradition I sang Happy Birthday to my Mommy. She is BY FAR the nicest lady I have ever run across and lucky me to have called her Mom. I remember back on 9/9/1975 after I had called and sang my Birthday song to her she returned my call at the end of the day and said, "I guess, I'm not going to get my baby for one of my Birthday gifts this year." She so wished to have YOU COME on her Birthday that year but 3 days later there you were in all your glory. Since I was born on her mother's birthday she so hoped you would have been born on her's. She did tell me once that September 12 was close enough. She was always and always will be proud of you and is smiling at the thought of you making kolaches. I learned from the master, My Mother, but mine never ever tasted like hers. 
You truly touched me today!!
Love Mom

 September 12th is MY birthday!

Insert crickets chirping...ha ha!

This past birthday weekend, I decided to honor
my late Nana and do something I have been 
wanting to do for a long time......
bake kolaches!

My Nana was FAMOUS for her kolaches.

What is a kolache you say?
Well first, it is pronounced "Kol - la - chee"

Basically, it is a Czech pastry that dates way back and is thought to have originated as a wedding dessert!
To learn more about the kolache and its history click HERE.

I first attempted a kolache recipe I thought was perfect for fall:

Pumpkin Kolache's with Cinnamon Cream



And yes, it is PERFECT for a Fall Tea Party!


To get the PRINTABLE RECIPE click HERE!

While these kolaches were very tasty (almost more cream puff-y), they did NOT LOOK or taste like my Nana's kolaches so 
I took back to the kitchen to try a recipe 
that looked closer to her creation.




Yep, that is pretty close!


oooooh delish!


For the printable recipe for this basic kolache click HERE!


I used both canned poppyseed filling as you see here as well as apricot preserves and both were amazing! 


I added a little powdered sugar glaze on these! Oh YUM!


Mission Accomplished.  Heart Warmed. 


But it gets better....
This year my Mom gave me the most amazing gift EVER!

WOWZER!


This is one of the PRIZED teapots in her collection.



 RS Prussia!!  I about flipped my teapot lid!

I will share the other amazing tea treasures that she bestowed upon me in the future...I was mesmerized!!!

I also was given several other wonderful items including 3 
of my Nana Marcy's aprons! 


My Nana would wear the apron on the far right when the priest would come for dinner on Sundays!

They are so delicate and lovely and make me feel 
wrapped in her love when I wear them.

I wore one a few weeks ago while hosting the
church fundraiser tea in my home.
To see that post click Here!

As I write this, all I can feel in my heart is love.
Sometimes I get frustrated with things in life, 
but it is times like this that I pay attention to how 
my heart feels and keep this feeling close 
when uncertainty creeps in. 

So here is to birthdays and Nana's and mothers and tea and friends and well...just the JOY of being who I am.

Don't forget to link up below!


Sharing memories and kolaches with:

TEA, INSPIRATION & TABLESCAPES:  

OTHER FUN SWEETS/FOOD and CRAFT LINK PARTIES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
 Mouth Watering Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Mingle Monday, Made it on Monday Sumo's Sweet Stuff Made by You Mondays Making the World Cuter Mondays Motivate Me Monday Joy of Desserts Dittle Dattle Amaze Me Monday Jam Hands Recipe Share Monday Mangia MondaysTUESDAY Crazy for Crust Confessions of a SAHM Delicious Dishes Cupcake Tuesday Let's Do Brunch Tempt my Tummy Tuesday Mandi's Tasty Tuesday Topsy Turvy Tuesday  Handmade Tuesday  Tasty Tuesday Tip Me Tuesday  Time Out Tuesday  Get Your Craft On WEDNESDAY Cast Party Wednesday Lil' Luna Ginger Snap Crafts Wonka Wednesday Whatever Goes Wednesday Wow Us Wednesday Look What I Made Wednesday What I Whipped Up Wednesday Let's Do Brunch Whatever You Want Wednesday Wow Me Wednesday This Chick Cooks Gooseberry PatchTHURSDAY Sweet Treats Thursday Sweets This Week  Thursday Show Your Stuff House of Hepworths Brambleberry Cottage FRIDAY: Tidy Mom Inspiration Friday Feathered Nest Friday Bacon Time Friday Party Sweet Tooth Friday Show and Tell Friday It's a Hodgepodge Friday Weekend Wrap Up Flaunt it Friday  Sassy Sites Friday Fun  Fridays Unfolded Food on Fridays Friday Flair Foodie FridayWEEKEND Sweets for a Saturday So Sweet Sundays The Girl Creative   Sundae Scoop




I am excited to see what YOU are bringing for TEA!







43 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish! Such a lovely testimony to your beloved Nana - and such yummy treats, too! But, of course - your mother's prized teapot is quite a stunner. How blessed you are to have the privilege of stewardship over it for a time. I look forward to see the other treasures you were teasing us about!

Joy!
Kathy

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Oh yum, passed down kolache recipes are very special, I will be trying both your creations, poppyseed kolache's are my favorite, and I've been dying to find the perfect recipe.

Jamie said...

Kolache makes me thing of my grandma! We're Slovak :) I have no choice but to pin this!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a heart-warming post, Trisha. You come from a very loving family and you are blessed. The teapot is amazing and simply beautiful! What a delightful gift. The kolaches look yummy too. Thanks for sharing this with Tea Time and I 'knew' you would choose the sparkly teacup. :) Enjoy your week.

Blessings,
Sandi

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Happy Birthday, first of all!!! The kolaches look fabulous & I wish I could share one with you...Yum!! What wonderful gifts...the teapot is so special as are the aprons!!!

Barbara F. said...

Mothers and daughters - no greater bond, no greater love! Little Sophia has a wonderful legacy. Happiest of birthdays, Trish, and both sets of kolaches look amazing. xo,

Wanda Lee said...

Dearest Trish,

Trust me to read a post about Kolaches and get weepy and teary eyed.., Mercy me!

What a heartwarming and yes even yummy tea post and tribute both to your dear late grandma, the legacy of family recipes.

And.., Wow! Indeed what sweet gifts from your dearest mama! What an amazing and beautiful gem of a teapot treasure!

Happy September 12th birthday sweetie and a memory honoring B-day wish for your late grandma as well!

Oodles of love and kisses from Wanda Lee

P.S. ~ How could I have 'dry eyes' dear Trish with such a sweet post, I ask you? Take care and have a marvelous week.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

GorGeous!
thank you for sharing both the treats & the gifts

xinex said...

Happy birthday, Trish! What as weet mom you have! Your teapot is gorgeous and those kolaches look so good!!!...Christine

Pink Piccadilly Pastries said...

What a sweet post Trish! Thank you for sharing. The teapot and aprons are so lovely and I cannot wait to try the Kolache recipe! Happy Happy Birthday to you! xoxo Jina

Two Minute Takes said...

What a treasured way to celebrate a very special birthday week by honouring your grandmother with the making of these Kolaches and by doing such a wonderful job on them.
Your mother gifting you the priceless teapot and aprons is such a beautiful gesture. When I see antiques, I often wonder about the stories behind them. With these aprons and teapot, I'm priviledge to know some of your story and that of the two generations before you.
Happy Birthday sweet Trish and sincere best wishes for a blessed year. Remember to revisit your beautiful post here whenever uncertainty begins to creep in, it's a very warm place to be:)

Micupoftea said...

HAPPY Birthday!! How blessed you are to have had two wonderful, nurturing women in your life. I can't think of a better way to celebrate your special day than to bake up some Kolaches and be gifted with a treasured apron or two! Love the photos...made me hungry! :)
xo
shawn

Anna at the Doll House said...

Happy birthday Trish.

It is so lovely to have family recipes like this, and every time you make and eat these cakes you will remember your lovely grandmother.

Anna

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful! So nice that you remember your nana.

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

The cookies look delicious! Happy Birthday :)

♥ Miss Tea said...

Happy Birthday Nana Marcy and Happy Birthday to you!! what a touching post! i got teary eyed reading ur mom's comment! you, ur mom and ur nana are wonderful and lovely women! the kolaches look sooo mouthwatering, i wanted to taste it so bad (gotta take the recipe and try it soon), and i agree on ur mom's gift, it's wowzers!! gorgeous! ur soo lucky to get those beautiful aprons, they're so beautiful! stunning! xx susan

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello Trish,
that was a sweet and heartwarming tribute to your Nana Marcy and your Mom. You are blessed to have the love of so many ancestors. The tea pot is amazing. How generous of your Mom to gift it. It is a real sign of live. Also the pretty aprons of your Nana. I think, she loved it if you wear them. The kolaches look yummy, I have never eaten one. So I will once try the recipe.
Thank you for sharing your special moments.
Best greetings, Johanna

Lisa said...

What a sweet post. The treats look and sound yummy, and I can only imagine the wonderful time you had making them with Sophia at your side. The gifts from your mom are beyond precious. I would say you, Sophia, your mom, and nana are all blessed with each other.
Hugs,
Lisa

MsFoxsSweets said...

Happy birthday to you! It is so nice that you were "close enough" to your Grandma's birthday and that you have such great memories of her. I love the close relationship that you have with your family. The pumpkin kolaches look great. I have never had one, but maybe one day I will have to give it a try. We all love pumpkin. Such a beautiful teapot your Mom gave you nearly causing you to flip your teapot lid...that is just too funny. I love reading your stories. Have a great day after your birthday and a great week! Thanks for hosting too :)

The Better Baker said...

Trish - what a lovely heart warming post! What grand memories you have of your beloved Nana. The recipe looks divine...the teapot and aprons will be forever cherished. Oh how precious! I linked up my best banana bread for the linky party.

Kathy said...

Happy Birthday my dear Trishia! I am so very happy for you - I wish you all God's blessings! I am so glad we've come to know each other through blogging and I have been touched and inspired by you! This is so very touching - you are blessed to have such a wonderful mother and your grandmother - I know you'll cherish your memories of her!
Hugs from Georgia,
Kathy

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Well Trisha, now I know what kolaches are they looks delicious! I enjoyed hearing about your grandmother and some family traditions, each culture has their own special things they do.
The teapot from your mom is gorgeous, you lucky gal. Sounds like you had a fabulous birthday and deservedly so.
A big hug from Ontario for your BD.
Judith

Trisha said...

Happy Birthday to you! Is your maiden name Fosbinder? My maiden name is Fosberg and my birthday is September 20th...crazy! I hope you had a fantastic day full of yummy kolaches, love, laughter and memories of your nana!

~Trisha

Charlotte said...

Happy Birthday! Your kolaches look yummy:) I hope your special day was wonderful.

Shaheen said...

Happy Birthday and thank you for giving us all the opportunity to participate too.

Angela McRae said...

Your kolaches look perfectly delicious, and that wonderful footed teapot -- amazing! I also love that you received some of your Nana's aprons. What meaningful gifts!

Zaa said...

What a lovely tribute to your Nana and mother.... and of course HAPPY BIRTHDAY to You ... Thank You for sharing this special blogpost.... HUGS

Manni said...

Happy Birthday Trish!! Love your post, it shows how much you love your nana! You are truly lucky to have had someone like her in your life!! its a blessing!
Wishing you all the happiness in the world!!
hugs
Manni :)

Martha's Favorites said...

Happy Birthday! A beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman. Your post was very touching today. Blessing to you, Martha

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Im new on your Blog so sweet and Touching... Im also your newest follower on your blog now.
I do Tablescapes hope you can come over and join me.
Happy Birthday sweey lady.
XXOO Diane

DANIELLE said...

A MOST BEAUTIFUL POST!!!!!!! XOXO

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

The pumpkin kolaches look wonderful!!!!I hope to make them soon. Thanks for sharing and linking to TMTT.

VintageMom said...

Happy Birthday! If I were you, I'd eat as many kolaches as my age :)

~ Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

Sue said...

What priceless treasures for gifts!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!

Now that you have made your Nana's kolaches, you can pass the technique on to your daughter and keep it going:)

Heirloom treasures said...

lovely post, Grandma's are never forgotten,they are who we would love to be like. Someone so special,they live in our hearts forever.x

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What a sweet post. I feel the same way about my grandmother. I enjoyed reading the recipe as well as I was curious how you prepare you poppy seed topping,I've had the canned stuff and it is quite yummy. We use lots of poppy seeds in Slovak Cuisine as well.♥

Jennifer said...

I linked up my Salted Caramel Bars! My grandmother is Czech too and we love to make Kolaches...all kinds! She has alzheimer's now and I really miss her! Especially all of her great cooking.

Anyway, I came across your blog on Tidy Mom and I love your post!

I would love it if you would drop by Jane Deere and link up to Fusion Fridays with your favorite or most recent recipes, handmade crafts, diy projects, tips & tricks, and how to's! { open through Wednesday! }

http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

Amy said...

What a sweet post and a wonderful tribute to your Nana. I would love it if you'd link your yummy recipes up at my fall snack challenge this week. :)
http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/falling-for-crafts-challenge-2.html

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Happy Birthday, dear Trish! This is such a wonderful post. Your love for your Nana really shows. It's so wonderful. The two of you are gorgeous together on your wedding day. The aprons are lovely, but most of all they are such sentimental treasures. (What does it mean to wear an apron on the far right when a priest comes over for dinner?) And it's a beautiful teapot. Well, just everything about this post is beautiful.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I'm so happy I finally found pumpkin. Now I can try all these yummy pumpkin recipes! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday! :)

Mindie Hilton said...

Thank you for sharing your kolaches at Bacon Time, I am going to feature them on Thurs afternoon.

Olive, the Queen of Everything said...

I was so excited to see your post on Kolaches. I am Czech and grew up loving them and still do. Apricot is my favorite. I love your blog and it is very inspiring.
Thank you J

 
Blogging tips