Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In Loving Memory



Let me tell you about my "day job"...


Although I often dream upon the day where my only responsibility is playing Polly Pockets with my 7 year old while sipping tea and eating scones as I read poetry, your blogs all the while listening to Monteverdi....the reality is that most days of the week you can find me working as a Physician Assistant for a wonderful Pulmonary/Critical Care and Sleep Medicine private practice. 


This past week I realized how lucky I am to be able to do what I do. 


Several years ago a very special patient came into my life. 


On Monday he left my life.


With all of the HIPPA rules I feel I can't give out his name even though we were more like friends and family than a true "doctor patient relationship" so I will refer to him by the name, Mr Turkey.  

Mr Turkey was an amazing man, father, husband, dancer and story teller.  Every time he made an appointment with me in clinic the schedulers always added an extra 15 minutes to his appointment time because we would often just "shoot the breeze".


Mr Turkey had pulmonary fibrosis, a very aggressive lung disease. 


I guess I just do not have the right words to express the feelings I had/have about this patient and his family.  In short, I became very close with him and his sweet, loving wife as well as all his children.  His wife was there for every appointment and his children would call me to get updates regularly. 


About 2 months ago the decision was made to transition Mr Turkey to home hospice. I had the honor of being invited to go into his home and see him on a regular basis. I did this on my own time and our visits were purely social.  No stethoscope. No medication. Just talking. 


We talked turkeys and birds a lot! Mr Turkey was an avid turkey hunter and absolutely loved it. He often commented on the fact that turkey's had little pea brains and that was the only reason why he could out smart them. 


Recently I made him these "turkey" cupcakes to brighten his day...
 







He just loved these cupcakes.


I am so glad I did this. 

You know, I often fret about having to work which I feel gets in my way of doing the things that I really WANT to do like spending time with Sophia, James and making this blog better with more interesting recipes and posts. 

I realized this past week that I am very lucky to do what I do in that I have the ability to make relationships with people like Mr Turkey. 

I may not have a bazillion followers and amazing ideas but I do have perspective.


In the end, Mr Turkey probably did more for me than anything I ever did for him. 


This is my life in cupcakes.



18 comments:

Paula said...

Trisha,
Thank you for sharing this today. You continue to change my life through this beautiful blog. I love you!
Paula

Jennifer said...

Beautiful words and beautiful thoughts. I am moved every time I come over here and am blessed to read you every update I get. Hugs. x

Teresa's New Life said...

Hi Trish, I just found you on Tea With Friends blogsite and this is my first visit here- and I can totally promise (My Savior willing) it will not be the last. What a lovely site and tender loving post.

Barbara F. said...

Trisha, your cupcakes are special because of you. This is a wonderful post, and we all come away better people each time we visit here. Hugs to you, my friend. xo,

Yainea said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story... :)

♥ Miss Tea said...

what a wonderful story and the cupcake you made for Mr Turkey is absolutely lovely, thank you for sharing this lovely post and that you are blessed with a job that although i know you would want to spend more time with your beautiful family but im sure you know how blessed you are to have a family who loves you and friends that love you, you're so kind! xx Susan

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post in Mr. Turkey's Honor.

YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE DAILY, for a lot of people.

:) xoxo

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What sweet memories you have of Mr. Turkey! I loved reading this story. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle Masamitsu said...

Trisha,
Well spoken. We blog about life. May life never become the blog.
Take care,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Trisha,
I feel myself get very excited to read your blog every time you post. With that said I also stop and smell the roses or maybe you would say "tea".
so thanks Trisha for this story today and all you share as I always walk away with a smile in my heart.

Lynn said...

A beautiful tribute to a friend:@)

Lisa said...

I am sorry for your loss. You must have been a blessing in his life. What you said about your blog resonated with me. Lately I have been feeling like I'm losing the joy of blogging because I sometimes get caught up in my lack of followers or how many views I had. Not cool. I am taking a step back from my blog and only posting for pleasure. Its not a competition, its a creative expression of my life.
Lisa
theenchantedoven.blogspot.com

Emily @ Operation Emily said...

You may not have a bazillion followers, but good thing that's not what life is all about. I am an RN and most days wish I was a stay at home mom. Then there are those patients that totally justify the choice I made to become a nurse. Thanks for this post, you have beautiful insight to what is most important...
-Emily in CT

Lynn said...

ahhhhhhh, :::::wiping away tears:::::::...you DO have perspective, and a love-filled heart.

Lady Linda said...

Love Mr Turkey's post, you sweet thing. I didn't know you had a "day job"-how do you get all of this done in your busy life?
Lady Linda

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

This is such a touching and wonderful post, Trisha. You were both a blessing in each others lives. May he rest in peace, and may God bless you. Take good care during this time of loss. Prayers for both of you and your families.

Two Minute Takes said...

I'm sorry that you lost a dear friend. Some people enter our lives only briefly but they leave an impact that will remain with us forever. Your cupcakes were a very lovely and meaningful treat for your friend and I'm know that he knew how special he was to you. You may never know all the people who you have touched through your actions or presence but you do so everyday.

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello Trisha,
thats the sad part of life. But you made it so sweet. I can see his smile about the turkey muffins. What a luck to met you in such a life. You made a wonderful tribute to him and I am sure, that he tresured your friendlyness very much.
Best greetings, Johanna

 
Blogging tips