Monday, June 6, 2011

Tea Party Tuesday Link Up #2 Elegant Radish and Ham Tea Sandwich

Happy Tea Party Tuesday Everyone! Thank you to everyone who linked last week.

I have a confession to make....while I absolutely adore the art of taking tea and consider my collection of teapots, teacups, plates, silver, linens, tea recipes and tea books second to none.....I really have LITTLE knowledge regarding the history and "art" of taking tea. 


That is going to change!

This weekend I decided that I am going to embark on a journey...one that takes me back in time.  I am going to learn (and teach you some things too along the way, I hope!) the history of the tea ceremony and also something that is a passion of mine, tea etiquette. 


I am sure it will be a twisty, windy sort of road but rest assured this journey will be packed with loads of interesting and tasty fun.


Recently while visiting a GREAT tea website (www.theteahousetimes.com) I saw an interesting "challenge".  It posed to it's readers and tea lovers the notion of "Taking Back the Tea Party".  

I accept this challenge!!  I want to Take Back the Tea Party and teach others that taking the time for the ritual of tea (or whatever beverage you desire) whether it be tea for one, two, or many, can reconnect you with what matters in life and that is taking the time to be instead of do. 

Be instead of do. 

We can only live in a state of grace when we are serene. The tea ceremony is symbolic; a proof that when we pay attention to little things a universal energy flows through our present, magnifying the meaning of events. From Tea Celebrations. The Way to Serenity. Author Alexandra Stoddard 1994. 

From here forward when I refer to the tea ceremony or the ritual of tea I want you to take that for what it may mean to you, personally. 

For me it would mean carefully choosing one of my lovely teapots then dotting on which teacup from my collection desires a turn.  I am often surprised how important and exciting this experience is for me even though I may perform it several times a week! I try to make a point not to rush and enjoy what I am doing in that very moment.

Be instead of do.

The tea ceremony is more than an idealization of the form of drinking -- it is a religion of the art of life. ~ Okakura Kakuzo


To begin my journey I thought it appropriate to start from the beginning.  The REAL beginning...like several centuries ago when tea was supposedly discovered by a Chinese emperor named Shen Nung.  Although unproven, he is said to have used Camellia sinensis which is the same tea plant we use today for daily green tea, black tea, white tea, and oolong tea for four billion people. 

Interesting!!


I am sure the Nung crew got hungry drinking all that tea.  If I was serving Shen Nung I would whip up a plate of these yummy savories that were so easy and so cute!


Radish Ham Tea Sandwiches Fast and Fancy


You need:
Small flower or scalloped cookie cutter
Bread ~ of your choice
Cream Cheese
1 tsp of salt added to cream cheese if desired.
Deli ham thinly sliced
Radishes, thinly sliced
Dill (I used dill alone but one could add or use whatever herbs you desire)

First I cut out the bread shapes with my small wilton flower cutter and placed them in my babycakes cupcake maker and toasted them into little tartlet shapes (if you do not have a babycakes cupcake maker just set them into a mini cupcake/muffin pan and toast in the oven or use flat). 

Next I placed my cream cheese into a piping bag fitted with a wilton 22 open star tip and piped a dollop of cream cheese in the center of the bread.


Taking the ham, I rolled it up into a spiral rose shape as seen above and placed it into the cream cheese. 


Using a thinly sliced radish I garnished the side of the sandwich and the final touch was added with a sprinkle of dill. 



I will be linking with these great parties today!
Tidy Mom ~ I'm Lovin It!
Topsy Turvy Tuesdays!

A Breath of Fresh Air ~ Teapot and Tea Things Tuesday!
Sassy Sites!
Between Naps on the Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Add a Pinch ~ Mingle Monday ~ I Made That!
Sumo's Sweet Stuff

The Girl Creative ~ Just Something I Whipped Up
Fireflies and Jelly Beans Blog ~ Show your Stuff!
My Romantic Home ~ Show and Tell Friday
Delicate Construction
Lily Rose Cottage: L.A.C.E
Foodie Friday ~ At Designs by Gollum

Tempt my Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace
Savory Sundays
My Sweet and Savory ~ Let's Do Brunch Wednesdays
Wow us Wednesday!
These Chicks Cook Link Up


What do YOU have today for Tea Party Tuesday?









28 comments:

Trisha said...

Those little sandwiches look so yummy! Thanks for letting me link up my cupcakes!!

~Trisha

Marie Arden said...

I just found you today. I love the little appetizers and your world of tea. I shall return and I love all the pinkness on your blog.

Unknown said...

These look so good with a nice touch of class!

Another Winner! :)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Trisha
The little sandwiches are so elegant looking and would make a nice addition to a tea party.
Judith

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Good morning Trisha,
Your little sandwiches are as cute as can be and although I don't tolerate ham very well, I could substitute it for chicken. Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing and joining me for tea today.

Blessings,
Sandi

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Trisha,
So nice to meet you and enjoy tea here today. What a lovely blog. Your little sandwiches look so good and thank you for sharing the recipe and directions for making them.
The history and info you share is very interesting too.
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs from Texas,
Celestina Marie

Snap said...

I love your little sandwiches. They look so good. Isn't it fun finding out about the history of tea?!!! Happy Tea Day!

Notes from the Homestead said...

Happy Tea Tuesday!
Can't wait to hear more about the history of the tea party. The little savory bites look so yummy too!

Barbara F. said...

I can't wait to join this soon! Your sandwiches are beautiful, they look like rosebuds! xo,

Terri said...

Yay for you! Your tea journey sounds fab!
I have loved taking tea for 30 years now, and I am still just as thrilled with it as so many years ago. I feel just like you do when choosing tea pots and tea cups...spoons, napkins...what type of sweetner and of course the tea!
I look forward to your posts on tea.
Hugs,
Terri

Concetta said...

Mmmmm....these little savories look so delicious! Thank you for sharing and hosting this lovely tea party!
<><
Concetta

Jacqui' said...

Those Look wonderful!!!

♥ Miss Tea said...

oh wow, what a cute and yummylicious ham tea sandwiches!!! i too lack of knowledge about tea and still learning bit by bit, i still have not yet a big collection of teacups/teapots etc but given time, i would! just as I am learning about history of tea party. Thank you for sharing and hosting! x Susan

http://tea-diary.blogspot.com

Chaya said...

They are elegant. Thanks for sharing them with Let's Do Brunch. I will be back with my offerings to the tea. Right now, I am in a big hurry.

Marilyn said...

The sandwiches are so CUTE, and look yummy! I'm going to find out what a babycakes cupcake maker is. I've never heard of one. ♥♫

Wanda Lee said...

Hey there lovely lady Trisha,

What pure delight your Tuesday Tea parties are! I love those elegant and dainty, oh-so- yummy looking sandwiches.., Oh my!
Thanks for hosting this lovely addition to, 'Tuesday Tea Time In Blogland'!

I can hardly wait for your next posts and tidbits of tea information and delights!

Thanks for joining me for TTTT and also for my 86th 'Tuesday Tea For Two'; I always so enjoy having you join us as part of, 'Tuesday Tea Time In Blogland'!

Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee

P.S. ~ I'll wait for Pam to post about the, 'May Mini Teapot Swap'..,

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

CUTE..... we would love for you to link these up to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS Linky Party, theme this week is "FUN SUMMER RECIPES".... hope you come on by and link up!

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/06/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-32-fun.html

KathyB. said...

This is very interesting and the little savory sandwiches are my choice for a true tea time delight. I am going to have to make these!

Amy said...

This is totally elegant and who wouldn't want these treats for tea party! I love afternoon tea and love all these savory and sweet bites. Thanks for sharing.

Amy
http://utry.it

Unknown said...

Hi there, I came over from Let's do Brunch! This is great and I've posted Wedding & Graduation sugar cookies. Thanks for hosting. I'm your newest follower!

Нели said...

Страхотна декорация !
А,и вкусно изглежда :)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those little sandwiches look so pretty. How fun to learn the etiquette for the tea parties. I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
Katie

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for always supporting me in all I do! I love these! I can see these as a classy item to serve for a reception!

So glad you linked them up to Made it on Monday!

Kathy said...

Love these little sandwiches - they look so elegant and delicious! So very simple! Love it! Thank you for sharing this with A Return to Loveliness!
I'll have to add your Tea Party to my list for next week!
Kathy

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

Your tea sandwiches look very cute and very inviting to taste!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Thank you for sharing a delicious and easy tea sandwich that is beautiful too with Let's Do Brunch! Tea is incredibly important where I live in England, and 'high tea' (tea with sandwiches, scones and cakes) is a real treat. Your little sandwiches would be perfect for high tea! Hope to see you at Let's Do Brunch again this week :)

Angela McRae said...

Oh my goodness, your ham "roses" would be pretty served with my tomato roses from the other day! LOVE these!

The Gossamer Tearoom said...

Hello Again Trish,
When I have a moment, I will have to spend more time perusing your blog! These little sandwiches look just great! What a fun and easy recipe!

Thank you for the inspiration for my next tea party!

Betty

 
Blogging tips