Monday, July 18, 2011

Strawberry Chiffon Dessert for a Tea Party!!



Even at 35 years old I still want to 
make my parents proud.

I really wanted to make something SPECTACULAR 
and AMAZING for everyone in Nebraska.

When I found this recipe for 
Strawberry Chiffon Dessert
in Southern Living March/April 2009 I thought...
aaaahhhh haaaaa, I have a WINNER!



Not so much........

Don't get me wrong, it tasted DIVINE and was 
absolutely BEAUTIFUL, however there were a few 
things that made it a ROYAL pain 
and thus is not on my list to do again anytime soon.

I followed the recipe to a T, but when I was making the 
top layer the egg whites just would not stiffen for me.

I had to beat those eggs FOREVER.....and EVER.

I even enlisted some help from James and 
this was AFTER my Mom and sister pooped out!!!



Then, following the instructions where it says, freeze 4 hours to overnight, I placed the cake in the freezer and 
boy oh boy did it FREEZE.....12 hours later we had 
to use a JACK HAMMER to cut it apart.

So then I had a GREAT idea to just let it "thaw" a bit.

Nope.

Then you are left with the top layer melted into a mushy 
pile and the bottom layer is still hard as a ROCK.



Maybe you have some ideas??

My Dad actually had a great one...
"precut" the slices before you freeze it.
Not sure if it would solve the problem, but worth a try.
Despite it's challenges, it was quite tasty and pretty. 

 

For a printable recipe click HERE. 

Want to see something else that is really PRETTY?






 I was able to take some AMAZING
pictures of my Mom 
and several of her teacups, that is, 
when I wasn't trashing her kitchen 
and breaking her knives cutting my rock cake.

How priceless!!! 

Ya know...not everything works out PERFECTLY.

Sometimes you have ROCK HARD cake days.

But with kindness, compassion and SMILES
life can remain pretty SWEET!



If you haven't VOTED for my 
Lilac Cupcake 
that was picked to enter Sweetopia's 
Sweet of the Week Contest...please click HERE. 



THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!




I link up to many great blogs and parties each week.
To find the links please click HERE!

I will be sharing Tea and Fussy Chiffon Dessert with:


TEA, INSPIRATION & TABLESCAPES:  

FOOD AND CRAFT LINK PARTIES!
Mouth Watering Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Mingle Monday, Made it on Monday , Sumo's Sweet Stuff  Made by You Mondays , Making the World Cuter Mondays , Motivate Me MondayJoy of Desserts TUESDAY Delicious Dishes , Cupcake Tuesday , Let's Do Brunch , Tempt my Tummy Tuesday Mandi's Tasty Tuesday , Topsy Turvy TuesdayHandmade Tuesday , Tasty TuesdayTip Me Tuesday  Time Out Tuesday  Get Your Craft On WEDNESDAY Whatever Goes WednesdayWow Us Wednesday, Look What I Made Wednesday , What I Whipped Up Wednesday , Let's Do Brunch , Whatever You Want Wednesday , Wow Me Wednesday THURSDAY Sweet Treats Thursday , Sweets This WeekThursday Show Your StuffHouse of Hepworths , Brambleberry Cottage FRIDAY: Tidy Mom , Inspiration Friday Feathered Nest Friday, Sweet Tooth FridayShow and Tell Friday , It's a Hodgepodge Friday , Weekend Wrap Up , Flaunt it Friday , Delicately Constructed Friday , Sassy Sites Friday Fun  Fridays Unfolded , Food on Fridays , Friday Flair WEEKEND The Girl Creative  , This Chick Cooks , Sweets for a Saturday So Sweet SundaysSundae Scoop

37 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Trisha
You're right, the dessert looks decadent but certainly gave you grief; wish I could have tried a piece. :-)
Your Mom is a lovely lady, happy with her gardening buddy on her lap.
Enjoy your visit and keep baking. The cupcake is awesome!
Judith

Tea & Chocolate Guy said...

The cake looks scrumptious!!! but wow... what an adventure it took you on...

Your mom's teacup is darling!love the details ... and the robin egg blue with the rose is beyond beautiful!!!

Lovely photo of your mom with the family furbaby!! wishing you a continued amazing visit! xo HHL

Micupoftea said...

Nice photo of Mom and doggie! I think your dessert looks delicious, and glad to hear it was worth all the work. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, again, for the lovely teacup! What a fun time I had posing it for my post today - and it is decidedly on display in my newly renovated office/studio - upcoming post after a bit of polish! Your cake looks great from here - must taste the dream! No matter the chiffon trouble - the flavor is bound to come through!
Joy!
Miss Kathy

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

That's a nice picture of your mom with her cute doggie. Her porch is so welcoming. I voted for your lilac cupcake. :-) That's too bad the beautiful dessert gave you so much grief. I'm glad it tasted good at least after all that effort.

Unknown said...

You crack me up! I love the whole Egg White FUN!
However it does look great! I best it tasted great too!

Johanna said...

Hello Trisha,
I am feeling really bad because I laughed so much about your bad luck with the pretty cake. That is how things are often. The cake looks so tempting but I will neve try to make it. Whow, what a story. Poor you. But all look very amused on your photos and your Mom looks so lovely with her dog. And sure the tea cup is lovely, also. Thank you for sharing this all.
Best greetings, Johanna

MsFoxsSweets said...

Good morning Trisha! Loved your story, too funny, but I am sure frustrating, and that would be my luck too! Your cake looks amazing though!

Lisa said...

Oh, isn't that frustrating! You have no idea how many times I have a pretty picture and in the background there is total chaos and I look like a stressed out icing monster. lol. All you can do is laugh, right? Anyway, yours looks gorgeous and I'm glad it tasted great. Sometimes these projects are the ones you remember the most!
Lisa

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Trisha,
Your dessert looks decadent but it sure sounds like it gave you grief making it; very pretty. Love the pretty teacup and lovely photos of your mother. I have already voted for you, my friend. I received a card in the mail the other day saying that I have a Tea Time magazine subscription coming in the mail from you. I can't wait to get it! Again, thank you so much and thanks for joining me for Tea Time. Wishing you a fabulous week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Kathy said...

Hello Trisha - this dessert does look amazing! Wow - great effort goes into great things. I made an apple tart Sunday - my husband thought I was growing the apples from seed - there were so many steps and time to chill etc...
The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps boiling water and dipping the knife into it to slice. Maybe that'd work!
Hope your cupcake wins!
You're amazing and inspirational!
Hugs,
Kathy

♥ Miss Tea said...

Hi Trisha! the cake looks gorgeous! i get that alot, in fact almost everytime i bake something, it always turned out wrong, but i'm sure once it melted, it tasted heavenly! beautiful photo of your mum and that cute dog, lovely teacup too! you're still my inspiration! xx Susan

Lynn said...

you make me laugh....you make me happy...smiles all around. there's just nothing better than a little bit of Trisha, a free salivation from reading about the sweets, and the visual pleasure of seeing your faces in the photos you post. Sensory pleasure that hits the core....that's Sweetology.

Snap said...

It looks so good, but I'm with you ... if I have to work too hard I won't be making it again!!!!! Lovely tea cup. Happy Tea Day.

(PS... good luck. I voted for you.)

~CC Catherine said...

This looks SO Yummy, even if it did make history! I remember one time making a Tuna Fish Casserole...and I always make notes in the cookbook so I know if I want to try it again. Even after 25 years, I still recall what I wrote: Good for dog food. haha! Yours at least tasted YUMMY! ;) Cute narrated story! :)

Our Italian Kitchen said...

This looks so fancy! Love it! Your blog and photos are some of my favorites!

Suz said...

I am so sad. That dessert looks delicious and I was hoping you would say, "easy peasy." I will just have to enjoy your lovely pictures because if there is anything I can't stand, it's fooling around with a recipe that is that tricky! The cup of your mother's is so beautiful. I am just falling in love with tea cups! I have some pictures of come of my mil's lovely things that she lets me poke around in .I would love to have you visit, if you have time!
Fondly, Suz
http://katsuijewelry.blogspot.com

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Bad Luck stories always make the best ones. We need to laugh at ourselves when these do occur. Your cake looks as good all that effort you put into it. I enjoyed your post, very mcuh.

Faith Hope & Cherrytea said...

YuMM! sorry about the frustration, but it's lookin' good to this girl!
thx for the visit to FHC ~ tea's always on!

laurie said...

Cute story..I enjoyed reading your post!

software monitoring software said...

The cake looks so tempting but I will never try to make it. I listed your recipe in my cookbook, It will helpful for my birthday party.

Unknown said...

Cute post! Somehow "chiffon" does not convey the idea of rock hardness :)
Maybe you could rename it: strawberry concrete cake :)

annies home said...

what a sweet treat yummy for sure perfect for a summer tea party

Wanda Lee said...

Dearest Trisha,

What a story about your lovely, yummy, sweet treat, cake! It's just as pretty as a picture though!

Thanks for joining us for TTTT as well as for my 92nd, 'Tuesday Tea For Two". We always love having you join us!

Blessings and hugs from Wanda Lee

Unknown said...

Looks delicious :)

http://carabossesbedchamber.blogspot.com/2011/07/look-what-i-made.html

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh how I did laugh about your cake issues! Forgive me, but life is often funnier than fiction. I hope you win the cupcake contest, it looks YUM!!!
Thanks for visiting.
Hugs,
Patti

cakewhiz said...

that teacup is beautiful! it's so delicate.

sorry to hear you had a hard time with the cake but if it helps, i like how it looks and all those falvors together must have resulted in a very tasty cake!

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Trish,
Too bad about the hard recipe, that is one yummy looking cake:-)) I am off to vote for your gorgeous cupcake!
Hugs,
Bella

cookies and cups said...

WHat a yummy dessert! Perfect for summer :)

Lady Linda said...

YUMMMMYYYY! Such a treat to visit your blog.
Lady Linda

keatseatsblog said...

This looks so yummy! I just did a chiffon cake that took FOREVER too, so I know the feeling :)

Thanks for linking up!

Ashton
www.somethingswanky.com
{Sweet Treats Thursday}

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Tricia, YOurs is the sweetest blog around. That Strawberry Chiffon looks divine...even though it was a bit of a devil!
xo Yvonne

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: Everything looks so good. I would have never made that cake. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, boy, what a delectable dessert! Summertime perfection~

Anonymous said...

So sorry the cake was a pain, but at least it looks divine!

Angela McRae said...

The dessert is simply beautiful but I must say I'm tickled at your honesty about slicing/serving it! I made some sherbet frozen in a watermelon last year for Father's Day ... heavy equipment operators could not have gotten the sherbet out of that watermelon!

Terri said...

The dessert really does look gorgeous. Too bad it was such a pain to eat! Good for you though, for wanting to make something really special for your loved ones. Your mom looks amazing, and the tea cup is really romantic!
Hugs,
Terri

 
Blogging tips