Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What NOT to wear on Halloween...a Cupcake Story



I thought it was my duty to
get out a much needed
Public Service Announcement
for all parents who are in the process
of buying or making your child's 
Halloween Costume.


Many people love Halloween.


Personally, I am not a fan.


And it all stems from her:



Yes, Miss Piggy.

Oh she isn't as INNOCENT as she looks people...Read on.
Now, I am sure all of you THINK you have the
bestest mother in the world, but sorry...truth is..I DO!


By way of her witty, crafty and fiscally conservative ways (especially on Halloween), my sisters and I lived a good life and never new that we were, in fact, NOT the Rockefellers.

In all her glory, my Mom did commit one 
fatal mistake during my rearing. 

She made me a "homemade" 
Miss Piggy Halloween costume.


That I had to wear to a 5th grade school Halloween Party.
With a pillow stuffed in my costume to "fatten me up". 

Tied with a rope.

Donning my "paper plate on a string Miss Piggy mask" that had the snout custom made out of a Styrofoam cup complete with 
two holes poked in the end for "added realness".

Or to avoid re-breathing my own CO2.

Yikes that Orange Shag!!  Oh and yes people, I do have 5 fingers in real life...WTH?!

I wore the damn costume, because I never liked to argue with my Mom much...she and my Dad worked hard. 


So I sucked it up.


And ended up with a "prize" and 20 years of therapy.

Hey you're a PIGGY...Miss PIGGY WIGGY...Hey PIG!  
OINK
You STINK like a PIG, PIGGY!

Little Creeps.

The "Judge" of the costume contest took pity on my ridicule 
and in a FEEBLE attempt to divert attention, 
made it WORSE and awarded ME the PRIZE for 
BEST COSTUME.

Thanks a--hole.


Winner or Wiener?




As you can see, I haven't moved on.

Now, to return the favor in life, I made Sophia this fantastic
watermelon slice costume a few years back.


Nice SEEDS!




Happy Little Watermelon!



Everyone thought she was a ladybug.

This is a WATERMELON...Not a Ladybug!


It almost came to blows with the neighbors.

PEOPLE...SEE THE HAT! 
DUH!!

So...in a nutshell think long and hard
about the Halloween attire you
place on your child this year.

Gotta go..I am making Sophia
her costume again this year.....NOT!


Sharing this PSA with:



OTHER FUN SWEETS/FOOD and CRAFT LINK PARTIES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
 Mouth Watering Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Mingle Monday, Made it on Monday Sumo's Sweet Stuff Made by You Mondays Making the World Cuter Mondays Motivate Me Monday Joy of Desserts Dittle Dattle Amaze Me Monday Jam Hands Recipe Share Monday Mangia MondaysTUESDAY Crazy for Crust Confessions of a SAHM Delicious Dishes Cupcake Tuesday Let's Do Brunch Tempt my Tummy Tuesday Mandi's Tasty Tuesday Topsy Turvy Tuesday  Handmade Tuesday  Tasty Tuesday Tip Me Tuesday  Time Out Tuesday  Get Your Craft On WEDNESDAY Cast Party Wednesday Lil' Luna Ginger Snap Crafts Wonka Wednesday Whatever Goes Wednesday Wow Us Wednesday Look What I Made Wednesday What I Whipped Up Wednesday Let's Do Brunch Whatever You Want Wednesday Wow Me Wednesday This Chick Cooks Gooseberry PatchTHURSDAYArtsy Girl Sweet Treats Thursday Sweets This Week  Thursday Show Your Stuff House of Hepworths Brambleberry Cottage FRIDAY: Tidy Mom Inspiration Friday Feathered Nest Friday Bacon Time Friday Party Sweet Tooth Friday Show and Tell Friday It's a Hodgepodge Friday Weekend Wrap Up Flaunt it Friday  Sassy Sites Friday Fun  Fridays Unfolded Food on Fridays Friday Flair Foodie FridayWEEKEND Sweets for a Saturday So Sweet Sundays The Girl Creative   Sundae Scoop







31 comments:

MsFoxsSweets said...

Hahahaha! Thanks for sharing your cute Missy Piggy! Love it! I will never see you the same! But for the record, Sophia did look like a watermelon, not a ladybug!
I love the cupcakes you made to go along with your story!

Marilyn said...

This cracked me up. So, should I be Humpty for Halloween? BTW, I do NOT like Halloween now because of all the crazy scary things they call costumes. Happy Fall.♥♫

Anjali said...

Very funny post. Thanks for making me smile. You are the best!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

This post brought a big chuckle Trisha. Our girls wore some dandy homemade costumes too, and I don't sew! Your Miss Piggy takes the cake though - just remember your mother lovingly put it together for you.
Sometimes a mother's love is well....you know!
Thanks for sharing.
Judith

Heather McMullin said...

Can I just say that I love you. I have been reading through your blog and I have brain issues too. I have chiari type 1 malformation and had corrective brain surgery 4 months ago. Although my battle is not as difficult as yours, I know how difficult it is. My blog has been my Zen place. I zone out and am in a happy place when I cook/bake and forget about all my worries. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs!
Heather
www.made-famous-by.com

Anonymous said...

Oh! The drama of what to wear - or - in this case - what NOT to wear! I hate Halloween and even though I have fun memories of an idyllic early 1960's childhood in October, it was not something that our family participated in. We were too busy getting our Pilgrim and Indian costumes ready for our Thanksgiving programs - huge celebrations of Plimoth Plantation Day (old English spelling).
Speaking of dressing up - this weekend, in fact, I have a bit of a dilemma - what to wear to the Renaissance Faire! Plenty to choose from in the period attire closet - decisions . . . decisions . . . thankfully not a pig snout to be seen!
Joy!
Kathy

the decorated cookie said...

I'm pretty sure I just cried a little (real tears? laughter? not sure) at your childhood Miss Piggy ordeal. But of COURSE you won best costume. You were the spitting image of Miss Piggy! I mean the likeness is just unbelievable. Skillz with snouts.

Lisa said...

Oh my, I just SNORTED when I laughed. Now Trish, don't you know that all good mothers supply their children with ample material to be used with there therapist when they are adults? You may have gotten off lightly with only a pig suit...
Lisa

LilaLoa said...

I LOVE this post! Its so funny, and I love that you posted your Miss Piggy costume, even though it traumatized all future Halloweens! So cute!

And your little girl is ADORABLE in that watermelon costume!!

Charlene said...

I feel your childhood pain! Thanks for the laugh -- and your daughter is benefiting from your experience so all is good! Right?

Anonymous said...

From Your Mom...
Oh, come on now....You have to admit that you were the cutest little piggy in the barnyard.
By the way...I was in therapy when I made this for you...Goes to show you it doesn't work And I have disliked Halloween ever since too. Sorry to have destroyed your freaky fun.
Have a Boo-tiful Halloween. Love, Mom

Just Jaime said...

hahah this made me laugh!

Erin said...

Totally awesome cupcakes!!!

Lady Linda said...

Oh my...you get the award for the funniest blog this week! Hysterical and darling cupcakes, as always.
Thanks for the memories and the laughs.
Lady Linda

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh my! I did have to laugh....just a little though.

Rochelle said...

I'm sorry but your Miss Piggy costume just made my day. So funny. Thanks for sharing it. Look forward to more posts.

SweetSugarBelle said...

I loaughed my way through this entire post! ALMOST rolling. And then I felt guilty. I made all of my kids be a skunk their first Halloween. It cracked me up...and once I made Caleb a taco. He was a newborn, and it was warm, and easy to carry him. His face was one of the brown spots on the tortilla... Oh he's gonna hate me later. My wors costume ever? Dad recreated the shower from karate kid! LOL!

SweetSugarBelle said...

laughed*

HoosierHomemade said...

Oh that is hilarious! I can totally relate!
Love the cupcakes too!
Thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!
~Liz

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! And here I always wondered why the pastor's kids wore a little devil costume...
I have to compliment your mom on a really well-made costume, even if it did traumatize you.
Happy Pink Saturday!

Pink Piccadilly Pastries said...

This is too funny!!! 20 years of therapy!! Kids can be so mean!!! We are working on a cat costume for my 4 year old. Believe it or not, it is very hard to find a regular old cat costume at the stores! That kind of thing is out right now, in favor of popular tv/movie characters I'm afraid. It's what she wants! Thanks for making my day!! xo Jina

Alycia Nichols said...

I am just about sick with laughter!!! I'm not laughing AT you...I'm laughing with you...I hope! :-) I know your Mom meant well, but geez!! Go on and get yourself a shot of tequila, honey. It'll help take the sting out of it! :-) As for Sophia, I thought it rather obvious that it was a watermelon slice. Some people just have no imagination! This was good for the soul. Thanks for a good laugh. Great cupcake designs, too! Have a good weekend, and I hope Sophia's Halloween is a standout this year!

Jorgelina said...

Love your pink post.
Happy pink saturday!!!

Susie Jefferson said...

Love it - reminded me of the awful mac my mother forced me to wear (pale blue canvas with Noddy printed all over it). I threw paint, attacked with scissors, trod it into the mud - it took me two whole years to grow out of the monstrosity, and I never really forgave her for it! I was a very miserable 7-9 year old and teased mercilessly for it. At least there weren't any photos!

Happy Pink Saturday from the UK!

Creative Cupcake Recipes said...

What a cute cupcakes, and a great watermelon slice I recognized the seeds immediatly. Too cute.

Selena Ze Arteest said...

I can't say I was laughing at the story, but your sense of humor made me smiled. Your 5 fingers, and 20 years theraphy, and the watermelon costume.. Sometimes things aren't going that perfect. Thanks Heavens, in my country we have no Halloween customs, and I don't need to wear stupid costumes. But in other hand it teaches us to take things easy.

Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures!!

Have a safe Halloween
hugs

paularkelly@gmail.com said...

This is hilarious, you are hilarious and your cupcakes are adorable (as was your watermelon costumer and your Mom's Miss Piggy) I'm sure many cups of tea and cookies and laughs have been shared between the two of you as you recall that Halloween ;)

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh my, Trisha, this post of yours sure made me laugh!! Thanks for brightening my day!! xoxo

MyCakeSchool.com said...

Trisha--such a funny post!!! LOVE that picture (as painful as it may have been for you at the time, lol) --Homemade costumes are the best!

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Those nasty creeps. That was a sin, Trish. It may be many years ago, but I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Cute little watermelon. People can be blind. When our son was little he was dressed as David and my husband as Goliath. People asked my husband if he was Shrek. He didn't have one bit of green on him. Thank goodness he was an adult and thick skinned. So many people didn't even know who David and Goliath were.

Angela McRae said...

Oh my, this was hysterical! Thanks for the laughs! (And I wonder what your daughter will dress *her* daughter like one day?)

 
Blogging tips