Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Giving Back - Fabric Marker Decorated Baby Onesies


You can buy your child material things, but
you can not buy them character. 

It is taught. 

Life is not about "Me Me Me"....it's about Me and You.
You and Me. Working Together.

Each summer I give Sophia the task of 
coming up with a project that she can use
her creative skills to help others.
Last year she put together eyeglass cleaning kits for our
local nursing home. The post can be found Here.




This year she wanted to do something that helped
children.  At first we thought to make some blankets to giveaway 
to the local crisis nursery, but after calling them to ask what they needed, it became clear that they had plenty of blankets but were in need of baby clothes, specifically onesies. 




The idea followed that plain onesies were OK, but
handmade custom decorated onesies were THE BOMB!!



What baby wouldn't love to be wearing this work of art!!



This was the first set we did. I abandoned
taking pictures for drawing on my own "fashion line".  


I drew this crabbie!!


I wrapped them up in the cutest tissue paper
with a big bow and we delivered them along with a
bunch of formula, diapers, and baby food. 
They were so excited to get them - it was cute. 

I am not pretending that we are
the perfect example all the time for our daughter.
As the only child, we indulge her on a regular basis.

However, the awareness that comes with doing for others
and executing a project that will help someone else, is
now, and always will be,  a priority in our home.
 
I just want her to be a nice kid who turns into a nice
person. Someone who opens doors for old ladies and 
smiles for no reason at strangers. Someone who thinks of things to do for others and then does them.  

Sure, Sophia is lucky, she has a playroom
full of toys and a room full of the latest and greatest. 
We go fun places and do
crazy fun things but someday that all will be old news and what
will be left behind??? 

CHARACTER.

I hope.


17 comments:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Trisha,

You and Soph totally rock.

You make SUCH a difference in this world and I am honoured to call you "friend."

BIG HUGS!

Barbara F. said...

Sophia is a very special little girl, you are an awesome Mom, and I think you are both an inspiration. Wish there were more Mom's like you in the world. xo

Anjali said...

Trisha, it is stuff like this that you say and do which makes me so proud of knowing you and having you as my friend. I truly love what you and Sophia did for the local crisis nursery. You are awesome!
Love, Anjali

Sue said...

Sophia is so cute, and so are her onesies! You're doing a great job, mom:)

Notes from the Homestead said...

Rock on cool girls!! What a lovely gesture! You are a great example and wonderful Mom to a fabulous young lady! God is surely smiling down on your kindness! Hugs :)

Notes from the Homestead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pink Little Cake said...

Yes, you rock!!! what a wonderful idea to do a project of any type with your child to help others. I am always explaining my little one how lucky we are to leave here in the US, I always remind her that back home there are a lot of children in need and they do not have access to get what she has here. What we do is save clothes in really good condition to send back home to little girls in need.

Unknown said...

That's awesome! the onesies are adorable! Integrity is awesome to teach!

High Heeled Life said...

Dear friend, you are making a huge difference in world --- and together with Sophia you are truly adding to the world being a better place !

The onesies are adorable!!! xo C. (HHL)

Unknown said...

Aww, this is so darn cute. The crab is adorable and so are Sophies designs. She's so pretty and has lovely hair. I love her nails too. Hehe.

-Lisa.
P.S. I tried emailing you back a while ago but you don't seem to be getting my emails so I'll just say here that I hope you've received your 'dessert for the deserving' by now.

Sweet 2 Eat Baking

Angela McRae said...

What a marvelous idea that benefits your daughter as well as others! Love it!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I LOVE this idea Trish! I've been wondering what I can do to share "giving back" with Jordan. This is perfect!

My Little Home and Garden said...

You sound like a wonderful mom with a fabulous daughter. They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a wonderful character building project. You and Sophie are such inspirations. xo

Anonymous said...

These onesies are adorable and what you and Sophia are doing is admirable. You are instilling a wonderful sense of community giving in your Sophia and forming character traits in her that she will carry through her entire adulthood. Like her Mom, she will touch many throughout her life. ~ Paula

Brenda said...

Wonderful teachings for your sweet daughter or for any of us. You set a great example and that's what it's all about. You're setting the scene of having a loving heart and putting it to good use. The onesies are so adorable. I love the designs. Your daughter is very lovely and with a wonderful mother that she has, she will have that character of a very loving person throughout her life. And SHE will make a difference. The world is thankful. We need more people like this!!
God Bless you and your family.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

This is SUCH a good idea!! I'm totally going to copy you and have my children come up with a project every summer too!!

 
Blogging tips